On May 12-13, 2016, representatives from nine institutions gathered at the second Asian e-Table to explore collaboration opportunities and challenges in developing online learning in Asia.
- Dr. Huang Hoon CHNG, Associate Provost (Undergraduate Education), National University of Singapore
- Professor Toru IIYOSHI, Deputy Vice President for Education, Kyoto University
- Professor Joon HEO, Director of Open & Smart Education Center, Yonsei University
- Ms. Helie KIM, Yonsei University
- Professor Xiaoming LI, Assistant President, Peking University
- Professor Benson Yeh Ping-Cheng, Director of MOOC Program at National Taiwan University
- Professor Chetwyn CHAN, Associate Vice-President (Learning and Teaching), PolyU
- Professor Roger CHENG, Associate Provost for Teaching and Learning, HKUST
- Professor Nick Noakes, Director of Center for Enhanced Learning and Teaching, HKUST
- Professor T.C. PONG, Senior Advisor to Executive Vice-President and Provost, HKUST
- Professor Isabella POON, Pro-Vice-Chancellor / Vice-President, CUHK
- Professor Ian Holliday, Vice-President & Pro-Vice-Chancellor (Teaching & Learning)
At the event, we also skyped in Anant Agarwal, the CEO of edX, during our roundtable discussions.
This year we welcomed a new member from Yonsei University, Professor Joon HEO, Director of Open & Smart Education Center.
Together, participants discussed the possibilities and issues in:
- developing an Asian consortium with gatherings of colleagues at different working levels;
- developing a central repository for content sharing, including full courses, micro-modules, and pedagogical showcases;
- enhancing professional development and teacher training;
- launching a regional (E-)Teaching Excellence Award so as to encourage teaching staff to invest more efforts in e-learning and establish a common standard of teaching;
- co-creating MOOCs (possible topics include computational thinking and MOOC production);
- creating better E-portfolios.
The HKU team also had the pleasure to share our recent experience in developing an online course from a grassroot level in the BOLT project.
Asian e-Table is an annual conference on e-learning initiated by HKU in 2015. We endeavour to gather experts in the region “to build a platform, a foundation, to something that can be sustainable and vibrant in the years ahead,” as pointed out by Professor Ian Holliday. The ultimate goal is to facilitate knowledge exchange and build a community of practice. Click here for a more detailed report on the event.
Technology has no borders, so is education. Contact us if you are interested in developing online education in Asia with us.